Recipe adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13937/pesto/
So easy and so versatile! You can add it to just about anything.
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until it forms a smooth paste. Enjoy!
- Butternut squash chicken mushroom pesto penne:
- 1) make the pesto as directed above
- 2) make the pasta as per instructions
- 3) either used pre-made cooked chicken breast or bake some in the oven and dice it, set aside
- 4) dice the squash and mushroom in small pieces and roast in the oven until ready
- 5) Add all of the ingredients (squash, mushroom, chicken, pasta, penne) into a pan and mix until heated. Done!
- Salmon Red Pepper Pesto Penne:
- Bake salmon in the oven until cooked, then break it into small pieces when cooled.
- Cook penne as per instructions.
- While the salmon is baking and the penne is cooking, fry some minced garlic in a pan with olive oil until fragrant, then add in sliced red peppers (capsicums). Cook until peppers are a little softened.
- Add in the pesto and a bit of cream to the pan and mix thoroughly. Then toss in pesto and salmon. Mix and serve.
- You can freeze the pesto into cubes and add it to cooked pasta in a pan with diced tomatoes for a quick meal!