Recipe adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11892/penne-and-vodka-sauce/
This sauce doesn’t actually taste like vodka. The vodka brings out the flavours to the other ingredients and gives it a little extra depth. The alcohol will cook out during the process. You won’t even notice it!
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced pancetta bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Handful of mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup half and half fat free cream/light thickened cream
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce/purée or 1 can of diced tomatoes + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, pancetta/bacon, and mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add vodka and stir until it is reduced by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, cream, and Italian seasoning. Simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir every few minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in pasta, and heat through. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
- Add in roasted pumpkin, spinach, zucchini or grilled chicken breast if you have any on hand
- If you’re using canned tomatoes, add in sugar to combat the tartness of tomatoes
- I got 5 servings out of this recipe due to all the additional ingredients