Recipe adapted from: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/herb-crusted-cauliflower-steaks-with-beans-and-tomatoes
- 2 large heads of cauliflower
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Parmesan Crust Topping:
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped finely
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 Tbsps mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 220˚C (425 F).
- Remove the outer leaves of your cauliflower heads and keep the core intact. If the bottom of the core is thick and fibrous, you can trim some of it off. Slice two 2.5cm thick cuts of cauliflower from each cauliflower head, ending up with 4 cauliflower steaks in total. Reserve the rest of the cauliflower to be used another day.
- I found it easiest to slice the cauliflower in half, then take 2.5cm cuts from each half.
- Gently rub olive oil over the steaks (don’t forget both sides and the top) and place them onto baking trays. Sprinkle pepper over them and bake for 10-15 minutes on each side at 220˚C. You want the cauliflower to be tender and browned on the edges.
- While the cauliflower is baking, combine all the ingredients of the parmesan crust in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the mayonnaise with the dijon mustard and set aside.
- Once the cauliflower steaks have cooked on both sides, take it out of the oven and spread the mayonnaise/dijon mixture over each steak then spread the parmesan crust mixture over it. Bake the steaks for another 5-7 minutes until the panko crust is lightly browned. Serve!