Recipe adapted from:
- 2 cups (~250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g cold unsalted butter (NOT softened!)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a bowl mix together the flour and salt.
- Cut up the cold butter into small cubes and add it to the flour bowl and mix it in.
- Add in the cold water and continue to mix the ingredients until you get a rough thick dough. Add a small amount of cold water if needed. Do NOT overmix! You want there to be flecks of butter or have a marbled effect in the dough. This is what makes the pastry flaky. When finished, gather your dough in a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20mins.
- It may be easier to do this step by hand by kneading it on a floured surface to help break up the butter.
- After 20mins, roll out your dough on a floured surface into a rough rectangle shape and fold the top third down and the bottom third up (like a letter). Then turn the dough 90 degrees, roll it out and fold it into thirds again. Repeat rolling and folding the dough another 3 times.
- Try to do this step relatively quickly because you don’t want the butter in the dough to melt while rolling. If melting, put it in the fridge for a few minutes to harden up.
- After you’ve finished working with the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for another 20mins or overnight.
- Ready to use for your recipe!