recipe adapted from: https://chelsweets.com/2019/03/11/baileys-chocolate-cake/
I baked this cake for Abby’s 21st birthday party in 2020! It was also the first cake I have ever baked! It took me 4-5 hours only because I am a complete novice. It is full of Bailey since it is Abby’s favourite alcohol in food 🙂
Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Baileys Irish Liqueur
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 punnets of strawberries
- ferrero rocher
Baileys cream filling
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp cup Baileys
- 1 jar of nutella (400g)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- unsalted butter, room temperature (290 grams)
- powdered sugar (512 grams)
- melted dark chocolate chips, melted and cooled (150 grams)
- unsweetened baking cocoa (66 grams)
- 1/2 tsp salt (3 grams)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (80 grams)
- 4 Tbsp Baileys Liqueur
- 1 tsp vanilla (4 grams)
Chocolate Cake Layers
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line and grease three,20cm pans
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder) in a large bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Pour in the buttermilk, Baileys, oil, vanilla and hot water into the dry ingredients. Mix by hand until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans, and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let the cakes sit for about 5 minutes. Gently run an offset spatula around the rim of the cake pans to loosen them.
- Place the cake pans in the freezer to speed up the cooling process, and to trap in additional moisture.
- Chill your cake layers in the freezer for about 20 minutes before assembling the cake, to make it easier to stack and frost.
Baileys cream filling
- Combine cream, baileys and sugar – beat with hand mixer until thickened
- refrigerate prior to applying on cake
Baileys Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Beat the butter on a medium speed for 30 seconds with a paddle attachment, until smooth.
- Add in the sifted cocoa, and mix on low until the cocoa is fully incorporated, and no clumps remain.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Alternate with small splashes of cream and Baileys.
- Mix in the cooled, melted chocolate chips.
- Once fully mixed, add in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Beat on low until the ingredients are fully incorporated, and the desired consistency is reached.
Assembling This Baileys Chocolate Cake:
- slice the domes off 2 our of the three cake layers
- place the first layer on a wooden board, then layer the nutella evenly
- place the second layer and apply the cooled Baileys cream
- Place the final layer and ready the cake on a turntable for frosting
- form the frosting on the top and bottom and place in the fridge
- once cooled, decorate as desired with sliced strawberries and or ferrero rocher