I have too much quinoa in the pantry and there’s tons of fresh parsley on the Homolka farm with some home grown tomatoes. These naturally made me think of a tabbouleh – or at least a version of it.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229156/zesty-quinoa-salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh parsley, chopped (curly or flat-leaf is fine)
- 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins, roughly chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed – optional
- 5 green onions fine chopped – optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.5 tsps lime juice
- 3 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan covered with a lid, then reduce heat to low to simmer until water has been absorbed and quinoa is cooked (takes 10-15 mins). Once cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, make the dressing by combining all the ingredients together and whisk well.
- Once quinoa is cooled, combined the rest of the salad ingredients together (parsley, cherry tomatoes, dried cranberries, black beans, green onions) and toss together with the salad. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or chilli n refrigerator.
- Apparently it tastes better if you leave it in the fridge for longer for the flavours to come together!