This used to be my go-to meal at Montana’s back home in Canada. I originally ordered it as an attempt to be ‘healthy’ and oh-boy was this salad freaking amazing! There’s a buttload of goat cheese in it so it’s not really considered low-calorie, but the amount of veggies you’re eating in this salad makes up for it, right?!?!
- Chicken (optional):
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- Roughly 8 cups of mixed greens
- 1 red pepper (aka capsicum), sliced
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ~200g goat cheese, crumbled
- Balsamic vinaigrette dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (~350˚F). [If your pecans aren’t toasted, you can spread them out on an oven tray now and put them in the top rack of the oven to toast while your oven preheats. Take them out when a darker brown colour and fragrant.]
- Rinse your chicken breasts then sprinkle salt, pepper and Italian seasoning on both sides and rub in. Place in an oven pan with a bit of olive oil and put 1cm of water in the pan. Cover the pan with aluminum oil and bake in the oven for ~20-25mins (until juices run clear). When the chicken is done, let it cool to room temp then slice.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your salad by adding all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Then prepare the balsamic vinaigrette by mixing all the dressing in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish assembling your salad by adding the cooled chicken to the salad ingredients and drizzle the dressing until desired taste – you may not need to use up all the dressing! Enjoy!