Recipe adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25202/beef-stroganoff-iii/
- 1kg (2 lbs) of beef chuck roast, sliced into bite-sized strips (2″ x 0.5″), remove the fatty bits
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 + 1/3 cup red or white wine
- 110g (4 oz) butter (can replace with olive oil to reduce calories)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups of white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2.5 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- Pasta or rice made as per package instructions
- Season the beef chuck with salt and pepper and marinate in 1/3 cup of wine for an hour in the fridge.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and quickly brown the beef strips with red wine. Once browned, remove the beef from the pan and set aside. Leave the butter and juices in the pan.
- Add the garlic, onion and mushrooms into the pan and cook until fragrant. Then remove and set aside in a bowl, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Stir the flour and cornstarch into the juices to make a quick roux. Add the beef broth gradually while continuously stirring quickly to make a thickened clump-free sauce. You should now have a mildly thick gravy-like sauce.
- Add the beef, garlic, onions and mushrooms back into the pan and 1/3 cup of wine. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to get a low simmer. Add in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- While waiting for the meat to tenderize, make the pasta or rice as per package instructions.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream, cream cheese and heat though. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta or rice.