Recipe adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17165/big-soft-ginger-cookies/
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup white sugar for dipping
- Preheat oven to 175˚C (350F). Combine the dry ingredients: flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the orange juice and molasses. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into ping-pong sized balls and flatten them. Put the remaining 1/2 cup sugar on a plate. Place each flattened cookie on the sugar and flip over once before putting on an ungreased baking tray. You want both sides of the cookie covered in sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 mins in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- Pro-tip: it’ll be easier to get your molasses out of the measuring cup by greasing it first with a drop or two of oil.
- They expand quite a bit so you can make them smaller if you like smaller cookies to commit to.