Recipe adapted from: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232908/chef-johns-meatless-meatballs/
- 1 lb (450g) fresh white mushrooms, very finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 Tbsp very finely shredded/grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped finely
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook and stir until liquid has evaporated and golden brown.
- Stir onion into mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir garlic into mushroom mixture until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Mix oats into mushroom mixture until thoroughly combined. Gently stir Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into mixture. Add bread crumbs, parsley, and 1 egg; season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Mix together with a fork until crumbly. Stir in remaining 1 egg. Mixture should hold together when pressed.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours. For best flavor and texture, refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Form mixture into small meatballs and arrange them on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until meatballs are lightly golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with pasta sauce or simmer in pasta sauce until heated through topped with more cheese.