Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/145409/greek-tzatziki/
Servings: large bowl
- 1.5 cups Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cucumber, grated with peel, squeeze excess water out
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsps grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Splash of lemon juice (or to taste)
- Mix everything together until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 8hrs or overnight before serving.
- You need to make this sauce the night before because it takes time for all the flavours to come together. It might taste kind of weird if you use it right away. Let it sit overnight, THEN adjust the flavours if needed by adding more yoghurt or cucumber.
- Too much garlic will make this sauce “spicy”. Avoid!
- Great served with falafel, in a wrap, with bread…etc.
- The salt in the recipe will continue to draw out the water content from the cucumber, so the longer you store it the more liquid will form. You can either discard the liquid if you prefer a thicker sauce, or just mix it together.