Recipe adapted from: http://www.australianmushrooms.com.au/recipe/roasted-mushrooms-tomato-cashew-salad/
- 1 bag (100g) spinach leaves
- Salad dressing:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 500g small button mushrooms (or large button mushrooms, quartered)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Wash your spinach and set aside in a big bowl.
- Prepare your salad dressing: in a bowl combine 2tbsp of olive oil, 1tbsp red wine vinegar, 1tsp Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- On medium high heat, sautée the mushrooms, thyme and semi-dried tomatoes in olive oil (~3tbsp) until the mushrooms are golden brown or tender. Transfer everything to a glass bowl when done. You should have very little to no liquid in your mixture at this stage (discard the liquid if you have it and just keep the ingredients).
- In the same pan, sautée the cashews in 1 tbsp of olive oil until light golden brown. Then add honey and sesame seeds into the pan and toss gently to coat. Be careful not to burn! You should have a sticky sauce by now.
- Add the mushrooms/tomatoes mixture back into the pan and stir it together with the cashews/sesame seeds until everything is mixed well and warm (1min). Turn off heat.
- Dump everything from your pan over your washed spinach leaves. Also dump in your previously made salad dressing. Toss the salad to combine all the flavours. Serve warm or at room temperature!
- You can omit the cashews if you want. Just toast the sesame seeds with honey in step 4 without the cashews and add in the tomatoes.
- Salad would go great with some shredded chicken pieces.