Super easy recipe with minimal ingredients.
Recipe adapted from: http://rasamalaysia.com/flan-creme-caramel-recipe/
- Caramel: 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 175˚C (350F). Place your round baking dish into the oven to warm.
- Make the caramel by heating the 1/2 cup sugar in a pan over medium heat. As soon as the sugar starts to melt, keep stirring until it completely melts and the liquid (caramel) turns into an amber colour. Be careful not to overheat it (don’t let it boil).
- When the caramel is done, turn off the heat, take out your warmed baking tray from the oven and pour the caramel inside. Swirl your dish around to make sure the caramel evenly coats the bottom.
- In a big bowl, beat 4 eggs with 1tsp of vanilla. Set aside.
- Next put your pan back on the stove and turn it to medium heat. Melt the milk with a 1/2 cup of sugar. Keep stirring until it is no longer granulated. Then turn off heat and slowly pour it into the egg mixture.
- Once combined, pour the mixture into the caramel baking dish.
- Place your baking dish in the middle of a larger square baking dish and fill the larger dish with hot water until half of the flan dish is covered.
- Bake the flan on medium rack for about an hour, until the top looks cooked (thin film over it, not overly fluid). Check for done-ness when you insert a knife through the center.