You can either use fancy smoked salmon or canned smoked salmon for this recipe. Using fancy smoked salmon will give this spread a pinkish colour and will also make that expensive salmon last longer! Goes fantastically on a toasted bagel or as a dip with crackers.
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/233564/the-best-smoked-salmon-spread/
Servings: 1 bowl. Enough for a small party. Or 6 bagel spreads.
- 1 package (8oz/226g) cream cheese, softened
- 170g (6oz) of smoked salmon (canned or “fancy” sliced) – salmon taste will be stronger if canned
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 Tbsps green onion, chopped (optional)
- 3 Tbsps fresh dill, (leaves only, no stem)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce OR 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice (or 1 squeezed fresh lemon juice)
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy/smooth. Adjust ingredients to your taste.
- Using canned smoked salmon will give a more robust ‘fishy’ flavour, so you make have to increase the other ingredients slightly to balance out the flavours – to your own taste!
- This tastes better the next day once all the flavours come together.
- Great on a toasted bagel or as a dip with plain crackers
- Cut the recipe in half if making as a breakfast portion for yourself, otherwise you’ll be trying to eat this everyday before the spread expires.